The Carter House of Eureka California
This building was originally built in 1884 – 1885 in San Francisco and was known as the Murphy House. The original structure was destroyed in the famous San Francisco earthquake and fire of 1906. In 1978, Mark Carter found the plans in a Eureka antique store and decided to build that house. To his surprise, when he began drawing up the new plans he discovered that the original house had been designed by the famous Newsom Brothers of San Francisco, the same architects who had created the lavish Carson Mansion just up the street in Old Town, Eureka. Crafting the building’s ornate moldings and trim-work by hand, the Carter’s small crew finished the re-creation in 1982. The Carters initially intended for the building to be their own home. However, with construction taking longer and costing more, they soon found themselves opening their doors to paying guests, and onto a new path as innkeepers.
In the photo on the left, you can see how close the buildings are to the beautiful waters of Humboldt Bay. It is an ideal setting for these magnificent Victorian recreations, which fit right in and seem as if they have been a part of the cityscape for a hundred years.
In the photo above, chef Cory Smith selects fresh produce daily to fill his menu at our own Restaurant 301. Our fine dining cuisine is driven by the bounty of the Carter House Gardens which we enjoy throughout all of our coastal seasons here in Eureka, California. The restaurant, which features an award winning wine list of over 3500 selections, was started soon after the bed & breakfast opened in 1987. Restaurant 301 first received the Grand Award from Wine Spectator in 1998, and has maintained the prestigious honor since then.